Boyd-Buchanan School’s long history extends back to its beginning in a local mansion at 950 Vine Street in downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee. Several visionary men came together and with the support of other members of the Christian community established Boyd-Buchanan School, known then as Chattanooga Bible School. The school opened in the fall of 1952 with approximately 150 students in Kindergarten through 6th grade. It operated under the leadership of the first president, Elvis Huffard, and the first principal, Fred Mosley.
Early on it became apparent that not everyone understood that Chattanooga Bible School was not a “church school”. Wishing to make the educational mission clearer, the board voted in the summer of 1959 to change the name to Boyd-Buchanan School to honor two men who had greatly influenced the principles upon which the school was founded. Having outgrown the mansion downtown, property was purchased in the Brainerd area and 1961-62 was the first school year in the new building.
Situated today on its modern 52-acre campus on Bonnieway Drive in multiple buildings, Boyd-Buchanan School has a student body of more than 900 students in grades Pre-K though 12. The school is accredited as a unit school, PreK – 12, by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Boyd-Buchanan is affiliated with the Churches of Christ.